Tuesday, March 30, 2010

Misplaced Northerner

Hi, I%26#39;ve been reading some of the other relocation posts and they have been VERY helpful. I am impressed by the blunt, factual info given regarding culture and religion etc.





One question I would like to know more about is the arts/culture aspect. What city, if any, would you compare your arts scene to? This would include theatre, ballet, symphony, museums etc.





Also, are far as the south goes, we had looked into moving to Virginia last year as well. We found many of the ideals to be uncomfortable. For example, submissive expectations for women, racism and loathing for northerners. It just seemed they didn%26#39;t embrace modern thinking. Would you say Knox is similiar in any of these areas?





I really mean no offense to anyone with that question..it is a fact of what we observed. The south is very steeped in tradition and propriety. It is something that is quite charming but taken to extremes is undesirable for us.





What about raising girls in Knox. Would our children be accepted into inner social circles and traditional southern activities?



Misplaced Northerner


You know Sublime, it depends greatly on the attitudes you, your husband and two daughters



bring with you.





While you probably didn%26#39;t intend you post as such, it sounds as if you already expect the south to ';not embrace modern thinking.';, whatever that might encompass to you.



Misplaced Northerner


Well, Sublime, cgshot has made a critical point. It really does depend a great deal on what your expectations are and your willingness to have an open mind.





As an example, my family moved from Dayton, Ohio to Atlanta in 1973 when I was five. The preconceptions of our relatives, much as I love them, were awful. I can remember an aunt saying we were going to end up becoming a bunch of ';holy rollers.';





Well, we moved to a small town outside of Atlanta (which in those days was a lot smaller then) and while many things were different, it wasn%26#39;t what my relatives feared. People were friendly and welcomed us with kindness. Yes, we got kidded for being ';Yankees'; (even though Ohio is in the Midwest), but we came to be accepted and loved.





The one thing we didn%26#39;t do was talk about how ';we did things differently (and better) up north'; and make comparisons.





Knoxville is full of transplants. My in-laws are among them, having moved from Chicago. They were welcomed with open arms, too. My father-in-law has season tickets to the Knoxville Symphony and loves it.





Knoxville also has a ballet company and an opera company. There are a number of drama companies as well. It%26#39;s not Broadway but there are plenty of cultural opportunities to be had. This site might help: www.ci.knoxville.tn.us/newcomers/arts.asp





My advice is to come down and see for yourself. Talk to people. Go to a concert or a play. Spend some time to get the feel for the area. That really is the only way to come to a decision on what%26#39;s right for you and your family. I wish you well in your search.




Peachyswan,





That%26#39;s a very good posting. Especially since you can talk from your own personal experience.





Let%26#39;s see where sublime goes from here..........




Peachy thank you for your answer. Obviously the previous poster encompassed the negatives I had mentioned. Of course seeing the area in question first hand is a must, it is always nice to get input from locals. I completely understand the ';yankee'; comment. I often find it interesting that such comments are foisted but when return volley%26#39;s regarding southern life are given, offense sets in. Shame really.





Cultures and lifestyles are different wherever one goes. Knowing the ';feel'; of an area is paramount in order to make a wise relocation.





I am curious though, in many relocation forums the comment is made about northerners getting flack about talking about ';home';. Why is this so offensive to southerners? What types of issues cause conflict between the two?




Hi again, Sublime...





You asked why when Northerners mention aspects of home, some people%26#39;s hackles rise. I think a lot of it depends on the manner in which these differing aspects are mentioned. I%26#39;ll try to explain, using Boston as an example.





Neutral comment that would not raise eyebrows: ';In Boston, parking could really be a challenge at times. And we got a lot more snow, too.';





Comment that could draw a reaction: ';In Boston, we didn%26#39;t drive like idiots the way everybody does down here.';





Do you see what I mean? I don%26#39;t think anybody would fault a person for pointing out a true factual difference. I used to have people ask me if we were having roast goose for Thanksgiving since we were not natives. We%26#39;ve always eaten turkey like everybody else, even in Ohio.





But I%26#39;ve noticed that when a very recent transplant makes a number of unkind comparisons over time, the reaction from locals is not going to be very warm. They may be thinking, ';If he dislikes it here so much, why did he move here?';





It would be similar to me arriving in say, Buffalo, N.Y. and commenting, ';Geez, everybody up here talks funny and the weather stinks!'; And then going on in a similar vein. I would not expect a Buffalo resident to find this comment to their liking.





I%26#39;m not a resident of Knoxville so I cannot give you the true inside scoop as I could with Atlanta. However, I do know that a lot of people are retiring to the Smokie Mountains and many of them end up in Knoxville. I think the locals are used to new folks much more than smaller Southern towns that don%26#39;t get a lot of newcomers. Plus, you%26#39;ve got the University of Tennessee, which attracts a lot of folks from all over the place.





I hope that helps a little.




Yes it does. Unfortunately I think the pre-empted ideals on both sides tend to prevail. Southerners assuming that northerners are stuck up and northerners assuming southerners are less educated.





Roast goose? Is that the same as turkey? :)




Yes, Sublime, I think you%26#39;ve got it. Preconceptions can get in the way sometimes. No doubt about it. When people move beyond what they assume to be true and get to know people for who they really are, it can get really interesting.



It%26#39;s funny, really. I think notions about the South tend to be stronger than I like to admit. I have a friend who was up in Oregon recently on a temporary teaching assignment. Her students found out she was from Georgia and they asked her if the kids here wore shoes. And they weren%26#39;t joking. That one made me laugh and wince at the same time.



I%26#39;ve never had roast goose, actually. I%26#39;ve had pheasant but not goose. I would be open to trying it, though. :-)




Sublime - noticed no one had really discussed your question about the arts. Knoxville hasn%26#39;t been known as the strongest city in the region for the arts but the scene here is thriving; the city is truly starting to come into its own. We have a terrific opera company which I am rather fond of, and with University of Tennessee here, there%26#39;s always something going on. Our alternative weekly (the Metro Pulse) has all of the listings. We%26#39;re not Atlanta or Nashville, but you%26#39;re only going to be bored if you want to be.



Also, about being a transplant, my husband and I are both ';yankees'; having moved here 3 and 9 years ago, respectively. Nearly all of our friends grew up elsewhere as well. What everyone has told you so far is right on target. We%26#39;ve had no trouble at all fitting in, but we weren%26#39;t looking down our noses at everyone, either. I actually broke up with a boyfriend (a transplant from Milwaukee) because I got so tired of hearing about how much better he thought everything was up north. He only lasted about 2 years here before he left, still complaining about how living here was like being in ';Deliverance';. It was easy for him to leave since he had very few friends. Wonder why?!



As far as raising your girls, I%26#39;m not sure what kind of traditional southern activities you%26#39;re referring to. If you%26#39;re talking about a debutante ball, which maybe 0.0001% of Knoxville girls attend, then you%26#39;re probably out of luck. Unless you bought half of the city, in which case they%26#39;ll be invited to everything!



Another note... moving to a small country town will usually make it harder for you to find your place... more rednecks there. (I know we%26#39;re all thinking that but no one would come out and say it!) Do yourself a favor and live IN Knoxville (or Oak Ridge), not in a %26#39;burb.




Well, I don%26#39;t know about rednecks. I%26#39;m living in Heiskell. I think the population is about 4,000. The people are great.





My only complaint is the neighborhood I am living in is FULL of Yankees. And imagine my dismay when I moved all the way from Florida just to wind up with Floridian neighbors! And they were NOT nice Floridians! Ah well, they moved a couple of weeks ago.





I want to say something about racism. I am very sensitive about the subject. I WILL say something to someone that makes a racist remark. I do not tolerate it.





I%26#39;m originally from New England. Lived in Mass for 34 years. Then I lived in Florida for about 10. I%26#39;ve been in the Knoxville area for about three months. Know what? I%26#39;ve found that northeners are more racist.





About 20 years ago, I was on vacation in Virginia and marvelled at how great everyone got along. Driving back and going through New York City the radio was reporting race riots there.





What I have found here is some of the nicest, politest people I have ever encountered. I went to Walmart Christmas Eve. I was surrounded by smiles, ';excuse mes'; and ';thank you.'; What a pleasant experience!




Hey, Knap! So you%26#39;re three months in. I%26#39;m glad you%26#39;re enjoying your life in Knoxville.





I was up there the week before Christmas, and my husband and I had some final gifts to buy. We went over to Borders near the mall and I stopped in at McAllister%26#39;s to get some iced tea. I have to agree with your Wal-Mart observation. Everybody was nice! Even with all the nutty traffic going on and the crowds. When we got back to the in-laws%26#39; house, I told my mother-in-law how nice everybody was. It made the shopping experience that much easier.





Happy New Year!


  • cosmetics products
  • No comments:

    Post a Comment