Tuesday, March 30, 2010

Routes to Pigeon Forge

I%26#39;ve never seen anything so difficult as trying to find out how to get to Pigeon Forge without going on the parkway. It seems like everyone is in cohoots to make sure you have to drive by every tacky attraction between sevierville and gatlinburg! I%26#39;m coming from Lexington, KY and I%26#39;ve found a map of how to get to Pigeon Forge out of Knoxville via Maryville and Townsend. Does anyone travel this road or have any advice about it? What is the road like? Is is a time saver on like new year%26#39;s weekend? Would appreciate any comments!



Routes to Pigeon Forge


I drove this road for the first time this past Thursday %26amp; it wasn%26#39;t too bad. If you come in on I-75 to I-40 west. Go about a mile and pick up Alcoa highway and take it to Maryville and follow the signs to Townsend. Once past Townsend, stay on 321, do not go into Smokey Mtn National Park. This road will be a 2 lane, somewhat windy road, but more than manageable. Don%26#39;t know if it was perception of just not having to %26#39;sit%26#39; in traffic, but it didn%26#39;t seem as if it took that long to get to PF. It will take you into PF about 1 block from the Comedy Barn, pretty much in the middle of PF. My choice of this route or fighting the parkway traffic, I would choose this one.



Good luck.



Routes to Pigeon Forge


Go to the Gatlinburg Chamber of commerce website. They give alternate routes to Gatlinburg with some pretty good maps. A couple of the routes take you through Pigeon Forge.





You will want to avoid Exit 407 on I-40 and TN 66. The stoplight coming into Sevierville can be backed up for 2-3 hours!!





I don%26#39;t know which route you are looking at, but if you take the 640 loop to I-140 this will drop you on US 129 just outside of Alcoa. This will save you some time on when traffic is backed up on 66. It is also much more relaxing and scenic!




Thanks for the replies, it confirms my suspicion that there%26#39;s a better way!

No comments:

Post a Comment