Tuesday, December 13, 2011

driving through the park

I was told a good way to get to Gatlinburg is to go through Maryville and Townsend and take 73 through the park. A couple people have said on here they don%26#39;t agree with that...



what%26#39;s the deal?



We%26#39;ll be going in 2 weeks, driving up from La., so I just wanted some good advice.



Thanks!


Janey



driving through the park


I would speculate that those people are Interstate clones who stick to the superslab at great expense and feel that a vintage experience is exemplified by a trip to a Cracker Barrel. The Maryville route, to me, is a much more beautiful approach to the Smokies than the horridly plastic Pigeon Forge route. I stick to the freeway only to get through Chattanooga, then hit Hwy 11 east of Cleveland to enjoy the countryside instead, great little towns like Etowah, and a refreshing taste of Americana before corporations prescribed what we define as scenery. Billboards and concrete hold no distiction IMHO. Hope I am not alone.



driving through the park


At the very least I would get off at the Lenoir City exit on I-40 and take 73/321 to Pigeon Forge. The previous mentioned route up from Chattanooga via 11/64 is a good alternate if you are interested in seeing some of backroads America. Another alternative is to take I-140 from I-40/75 over to 129 and then hit 321 over to Townsend and on to Pigeon Forge. Thank goodness all those people do stick to the interstate for those of us interested in seeing more than concrete and bill boards or traffic would be a mess. Enjoy the drive.




this is what gatlinburg.com says:





Take Exit 81 on I-75 North and follow Highway 321 North through Maryville and Townsend and Highway 73 to Gatlinburg. Approximate driving time from interstate: 70 minutes.





I think this is the way we are going to go. It looks like it goes into Gatlinburg, not through Pigeon Forge. Is this correct?




Not sure about 73 but if it says it goes into Gatlinburg then would assume that it does. Don%26#39;t know where it would come out at.



Need to look that one up myself.



My daughter took I-40 to I-75 to 321 and took it all the way into Pigeon Forge. Next time maybe she will try the 73 that you are talking about.



I do know that going home on a Tuesday there was no traffic leaving Gatlinburg and our son in law went the other way to the interstate and we took 321 through Townsend etc...It took us 30 mins. longer than it did them to get to the same spot....but you do have the beautiful scenery...




Janey16, my daughter who lives in Knoxville says that she and her husband have traveled on 73 to Gatlinburg. It does, indeed, go staight into Gatlinburg, emptying you out onto Parkway on the far end (opposite side of the entrance from Pigeon Forge.) She said it is a beautiful drive and much less traveled, making your trip into Gatlinburg much quicker than going through Pigeon Forge.



If the exit you are taking puts you on 129 (the road to hte airport) you will come to a split at Maryville and Alcoa. My daughter told me the quicker way is to head toward and then through Alcoa. Way up the road, you will find signs that have you turn onto 73 straight into Gatlinburg. you would have to do this if you went through Maryville, but going through alcoa is faster. As I said above, this is for if your exit puts you onto 129.



Aren%26#39;t you the one that will be there when my husband and I will be there? I%26#39;m the one celebrating my 25th anniversary that weekend (Nov 18-20.) Looks like we will get to enjoy a few leaves with this warm weather. We are marvelling at how late the leaves are turning this year. I live about 2 hours east of Gatlinburg and our leaves are just now turning. Unbelievable...




From Maryville/Alcoa there is no road that goes straight to Gatlinburg. You either follow 321 from Townsend through Wears Valley over to Pigeon Forge or go straight through Townsend into the park and hang a left at the ';Y'; driving via Elkmont over to Sugarlands visitor center and then turn left on 441 which goes to the south end of the Pkwy in Gatlinburg. There is also a cut across from Wears Valley through Little Greenbrier into Metcalf Bottoms which puts you on the road over to Sugarlands as well.




Klm81955



yes, we are driving up on the 17th and leaving on the 20th. We%26#39;ll be leaving La. at about 1 or 2am Thursday morning (YIKES!!) to make the 10 hour trip.





Since we%26#39;ve never been up there, I wanted as much scenery as possible, even if it takes a little longer. Going through the park just sounds so awesome.





Thanks for all of the advice, guys! In 2 short (hopefully short) weeks, I%26#39;ll be in Gatlinburg!!!! WOOHOO!!!





take care,



Janey




I noticed that most of the people here are coming in from the south, but I thought I%26#39;d give it a shot anyway. For anyone who%26#39;s coming from the north on 75....we always take 75 to 640, then 40 to 66. We always allow plenty of tiem to get there, so are usually there a few hours before we can get into our cabin. Just wondering what other way there is. One time we turned off too soon %26amp; went through Knoxville...not fun %26amp; it seemed to take forever. However, I would love to be able to drive through the beautiful mountain scenery instead of the packed interstate. Thanks!




Hi Rileysmom - One way we have gone is to drive past the 66 exit and continue on I40 to Exit 435 (or 432). This way takes you through Cosby, and ends at downtown traffic light #3 in Gatlinburg. It can save hours of bumper to bumper traffic by avoiding Pigeon Forge.



If you mapquest Cosby, you can get a map.



Hope that helps!




Rileysmom, if you are willing to share, what part of Ohio are you from? I was born and raised in the Dayton area. Although, now I have been away for many years. I visit my parents and brothers who are still there, though...

No comments:

Post a Comment