Tuesday, December 13, 2011

Hey ya'll I have a stupid bear question

Hey ya%26#39;ll I have a stupid bear question......when do they hibernate?



Hey ya'll I have a stupid bear question


We need Mountain Man on here to answer this one.



I read something that said they start around the end of October and go to March or so ... but technically they don%26#39;t stay hibernated...they just take longgggg naps and then come out for a short time and then take more longgggg naps...they may be totally wrong so don%26#39;t quote me on this answer...





Mountain Man where are you????????????????



Hey ya'll I have a stupid bear question


I think its later than Oct. because the only times I have see bears was in the month of Nov. Maybe it depends on if its an early or late fall.




Mountain Man is definately the one for this question...It seems that hibernation is somehow related to the weather. Cold weather drives the bears into caves and the in the spring the warmer weather beckons them out. Based on that I would guess they start going into hibernation mid to late November and come out late March. Just a guess though...





COME ON MOUNTAIN MAN!!




Actaully the majority of the black bears in the Smokies hibernate and/or den high up in hollow trees. True they don%26#39;t really hibernate but go into long periods of sleep and venture out on warm days to feed.




I have read that bears usually go into their den the last of October or November depending on the temperature and that they don%26#39;t really hibernate. They basically just sleep for long periods of time and that they may come out of their den if they are disturbed or the temperature gets warm. From what I have read they come out of their dens for good in March or April.




Thanks for the info everyone...you%26#39;ve been very helpful. I%26#39;ve only ever been in December and I have never seen one.




You need to speak to my husband! LOL! Although, he isn%26#39;t nearly as bad as some husbands I know! There is a TV in our room at the B%26amp;B we will be at (in 1 1/2 weeks!) so I will have to threaten his life if he even LOOKS in that direction! I get ONE weekend! Especially since it is our 25th anniversary celebration! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment