Tuesday, December 13, 2011

Returned home now...

Hi everyone,

This is my review of my TN trip, but first I just want to thank all your tripadvisors out there for the tips %26amp; the friendly and helpful advice, especially in the early planning stages.

Started out in Atlanta (boy what an airport!!), and drove to Chattanogga. Stayed at the best hotel of the whole trip (Staybridge Suites). These made me realise how much more Americans expect for their money! The water features around the Aquarium were great, but on the walk there we were panhandled and followed for a while - spooky. The Choo Choo was amusing and we met the grumpiest member of staff of the whole holiday there! Crossed the pedestrain bridge to Coolidge Park and rode the carousel. Sticky Fingers was a recommended restaurant there, and they catered well to my vegetarian needs and husband has what he said were great ribs. Rock City was great - twee and kitsch - but enjoyable. Lookout Mtn was not what I imagined at all - a highly populated place.

Then onto Townsend %26#39;the quiet side of the Smokies%26#39;. This was described as a city, but seemed to be houses on a length of road. Stayed at the Comfort Inn. The Visitors Centre was great. We did the Cades Cove loop which was lovely. At times the views into the mountains were breathtaking. While not desperately busy, the whole loop took us about 3 hours. We then drove to the other loop road near Gatlingburg (can%26#39;t recall its name - Motor something). Half of this was easy to drive, but the last half was an absolute nightmare, on roads that were narrow, pot-holed, steep and on a camber. I was driving VERY slowly and concentrating so hard I hardly saw a thing, although occasional glances told me how lovely it was. No warnings on the road of the poor road condition.

On the drive between the 2 loop roads, saw a black bear drinking from the river - this was FANTASTIC! All the cars had stopped both ways while people dived out to admire or photograph.

Drove through Gatlingberg, Pigeon Forge and Sevierville, and we were glad we didn%26#39;t stay there - it was too much of everything for us!

Then onto Nashville. Stayed at one of the hotels near the Opry because downtown hotels were full. The Opry hotel is something else!!! Went to see an Opry show on the 15th Oct - the Opry%26#39;s birthday, and mine too!! Went to the Museums - Country music museum, Ryman, Opry museum, some concerts, bars, got a parking ticket (groan!) and shopped at Opry Mills.

Then on to Memphis, where we stayed at the Comfort Inn - see review. Beale was great, again did some of the museums - Civil Rights, Stax, Rock n Soul, Graceland, WC Handy. Ate at Hueys which was great! Peabody Ducks were cute. Mr Lansky personally sold us stuff!

Then down to Clarksdale MS (okay wrong forum I know, but this one is more active than the MS one!) Imagined Clarksdale to be less busy/built up. Stayed at the Riverside Inn (ex hospital where Bessie Smith, empress of the blues, died). Great place to stay for one night if you%26#39;re on a musical journey like we were, otherwise stay at the Shack Up Inn which is what we intend to do next time. Went to the Delta Blues Museum, Ground Zero, and best of all to Reds, where a great Blues musician with an unlikely name - Lightnin%26#39; Malcolm - was playing. Drove the old blues turf - down to Greenville and back, taking in the huge atmospherics and trying to find old blues related sites. Sadly, this bit ended too soon, and it was time to go to Tupelo.

Saw Elvis%26#39; old shotgun house where we sat on the porch swing (a la Elton John), and then headed to Birmingham, Alabama for one night, then back to Atlanta for flight home.

I%26#39;m gradually reviewing the hotels we stayed in in the relevant bit of tripadvisor, which I hope will be helpful to you, as your reviews were to me.

Food throughout the trip was a mixed bag really. As a vegetarian I did struggle at times. The best (i.e. funniest time) was in Nashville at Shoney%26#39;s, when I asked the waitress what there was for me. She pointed to the buffet, and said I could have the bacon this and the fish that. She basically didn%26#39;t get it, and when I explained, she said (in southern drawl), %26#39;whatcha do that fer?%26#39;. I ate macaroni cheese.

Main tip I have for Brits is to take your AA card with you if you%26#39;re a member, and show it at the entrance to museums, hotels etc. Many places will give you a 10% discount.

Also keep your passport with you as ID. I was asked for mine when buying booze at supermarkets, and to enter pubs. On my 40th birthday I was asked for my ID and my husband was not asked - when I enquired why, the bloke said it was because he wanted to be sure I was over 21 - I could have kissed him!!

We were both appropriately cautious as tourists in unknown territory. We did not experience any difficulties particularly, excepting the pan-handling in Chattanooga and Memphis. In fact people seemed so genuinely interested and friendly, wanting to talk and advise etc. We have a set of email addresses of new friends we%26#39;ve made, and that southern hospitality thing seems very real!

Last word on the trip?

It was great, when can I go back?

Returned home now...

Great review! I was wondering how your trip went. (Remember, I am the one who told you what to expect as a vegetarian. I%26#39;m glad to hear that the girl at Shoney%26#39;s backed me up.) Some of our greatest stories from vacation have been the encounters from the locals.

Returned home now...

Hey, I%26#39;m really happy to read your thoughts on Southern hospitality. I%26#39;m taking my fiancee home to Nashville with me for the first time, and I%26#39;ve been nervous about the reception he may or may not receive while there. We live in Chicago, and he has a really thick Chicago accent. I can relate to your attempts to be a vegetarian in the South. I stopped eating meat in 1990 and thought my family would die! If I%26#39;d have known you earlier, I%26#39;d have suggested you steer clear of Shoney%26#39;s. I%26#39;m not positive, but I%26#39;ve always assumed they cook everything in lard. My preference is Demo%26#39;s, if you ever go back.

  • wavy hair
  • No comments:

    Post a Comment