Sunday, April 4, 2010

Last-minute trip! Need tips!

Hello everyone! My husband and I just planned a last-minute Thanksgiving trip to Nashville for the week of Thanksgiving. (November 20-25) We already planned on going to a hockey game on Thanksgiving night, but I was curious what else we could see. Any suggestions for bars, restaurants, tours, etc?





We already booked the Holiday Inn Express, hopefully that was a good choice.





Thanks in advance for your help!



Last-minute trip! Need tips!


I should add that we LOVE live music. I know Nashville is a good city for this, but any place in particular?



Last-minute trip! Need tips!


Hey, Sox. Congrats on the vistory, by the way. I%26#39;m a Braves girl but after we lost, I was rooting for the Sox to win big time.





Holiday Inn Express is a good choice. I love their free parking. It%26#39;s also convenient to everything you%26#39;re going to do.





You might want to do a search of the Nashville forum for tips on live music. Someone here was recommending some good downtown places not so long ago.





I can recommend Tootsie%26#39;s Orchid Lounge downtown as a great place to go. But one place that%26#39;s a less than 10 minute drive from downtown is the Bluebird Cafe. Great live acoustic music in a little strip mall. Go to www.bluebirdcafe.com for info. and schedules of who is playing.





A tour of the Ryman Theater might be worthwhile and it%26#39;s not far from your hotel. I%26#39;m sure you know that%26#39;s the former home of the Grand Ole Opry. Country Music Hall of Fame is also a good one downtown.





The Opry is now located outside of town next to the huge Opryland Hotel. I recommend walking through the hotel just to see all the Christmas decorations. They really do a nice job of it. You could also take a riverboat cruise on the General Jackson while you%26#39;re out there. Opry Mills is a huge outlet mall next to the hotel. You can park there for free at Opry Mills and walk over to the hotel.





If you like historic tours, a trip to the Hermitage, home of President Andrew Jackson, is worth it. There%26#39;s also plantations like Cheekwood and Belle Meade.





As for restaurants, let me know what kind of food you like and I%26#39;ll try to pick a few.




Thanks for the congrats and all the suggestions, Peachy!





We%26#39;re not too picky about food. We love steak, good breakfast. Not really picky at all.




Glad to be of help!





As for steak, I wish I knew more. The best steak I ever had in Nashville was at Ruth%26#39;s Chris Steakhouse. It%26#39;s a chain but man, was it good! Some people go to Demo%26#39;s for steak but the time we went there, my steak was very poor. I couldn%26#39;t go back.





If you%26#39;re into barbecue at all, I recommend Jack%26#39;s on broadway. Very good pork and brisket. Rippy%26#39;s is great for ribs.





I CAN help you with breakfast. Two places immediately come to mind. The Pancake Pantry is located in Hillsboro Village near Vanderbilt campus. A straight shot from your hotel on 21st. H%26#39;boro Village has some great funky shops, too. Very good pancakes but on weekends, lines are common. They tend to move you in and out fairly quickly.





The other place is the Loveless Cafe, located outside of town. Some of the best food, especially the homemade biscuits. They remodeled recently so I think it%26#39;s bigger now. Everyone I know raves about the place. Here%26#39;s their site: www.lovelesscafe.com.




Across the street from the hockey arena is the nightclub district, be sure to go up 2nd avenue and around the corner to printer%26#39;s alley.





There is a couple of live blues bars and a live irish music pub in addition to all the country music.





Be sure to see the area behind the state capitol called bicentennial state park and if you like historic homes, right behind there is historic germantown.





There is a free state of tenn. museum downtown open mon-fri.





Also, there is a great one hour tour of the city on a trolley car that leaves from hard rock cafe, but i don%26#39;t know if they operate that time of year..they should.



Tootsies also has a tour service.





Holiday Inn express is a great choice.




Thanks you guys for the suggestions. I wrote everything down. I%26#39;m sure we won%26#39;t run out of anything to do.





I%26#39;m so excited!





Thanks again!




I walked by the tour place at the hard rock and they are open, they just used heated mini busses instead of trolleys.





I would do the 1 hour gray line tour first thing during the daytime as it shows the main areas.





it cost only 12 dollars and is called gray line tours

No comments:

Post a Comment