Friday, April 9, 2010

Nashville is head and shoulders above Memphis !

There%26#39;s a lot of negatives about Memphis no doubt....but sometimes folks resist honest feedback of ';what%26#39;s hot, and what%26#39;s not'; (TripAdvisor%26#39;s language, not mine !)





I think the food at the Rendezvous is reprehensible.....I wouldn%26#39;t advise a visitor or TripAdvisor reader to waste their time or money.....the greasy sausage appetizer platter was, well...greasy....the lamb portions tasted exceptionall dry and overcooked...simply a sin to mess up food that way...served by indifferent waitstaff....





The Peabody Hotel is a has-been, over-priced, downtown Hotel......watching the ';ducks'; stroll around the lobby may be fine for a three-year old, but otherwise simply PASS...Our experiences with the food at the Peobody are very medicore to awful..and very expensive..





Our experiences with MATA is mixed....it%26#39;s generally full of folks who don%26#39;t travel any other way...plus the transportation is hot and smelley...





We%26#39;ve had the Dyer%26#39;s hamburgers...they cook the darn things in a VAT of GREASE which NEVER gets changed. (that%26#39;s a fact and they brag about that...imagine that!! ).....it%26#39;s truly a ';fat burger'; or ';grease burger';....





Downtown has too many pan-handlers for our own concern for safety....we have seen them begging right in the presence of Policemen who were just standing around shoting the breeze with fellow officers......One of our friends just got their purse snatched on Beale on last Thursday night....again Police were right there in the vicinity (close)....Any thinking person can access crime records (arrests too) in Memphis, by zip code.....I have felt very unsafe in Memphis at times.....that%26#39;s my experience......let%26#39;s see if this honest, direct';post'; gets erased by TripAdvisor TOO.......which will show an obvious bias in willynilly censorship.....strange stuff....





ENJOY !





Nashville is head and shoulders above Memphis !


I live in Nashville (moved here 4 years ago) and wouldn%26#39;t live in Memphis if someone gave me a million dollars. It is awful, most city schools are below state and federal standards. In the last few years it had a higher crime and murder ranking than NYC. That should tell you something!



Nashville is head and shoulders above Memphis !


My husband has a weekend job in Memphis, but we live an hour away. There is now way we%26#39;d move there. Among the other problems you have listed, the city government is screwed up too. For those reasons we will be moving to Nashville the day after my graduation in December. Can%26#39;t wait to get there!!!!!




Lived in Memphis for 16 years, and have now lived in Middle Tn for 8. There is absolutely no comparison- I wouldn%26#39;t move back to Memphis for anything! Obviously other former Memphians feel the same way, b/c when my wife and I drive back for the holidays, all you see is Davidson/Rutherfored/Williamson Co. tags on the cars going west on I-40.




As we say in East Tennessee--Memphis is the biggest city in Mississipi.





Why anyone other than an Elvis fan would ever go to Memphis is beyond mt comprehension.




To each his own. I like Memphis. To say only an Elvis fan could live here seems a little off the mark. I guess I could say only a country music fan could live in Nashville but that would be an uneducated idiotic thing to say.



I%26#39;m sure all of the International Paper executives who just made the decision to relocate their headquarters to memphis from Connecticut are all Elvis fans. I%26#39;m sure Elvis is the reason they are only the sixth company in the last 30 years to relocate a corporate headquarters located outside of the South into a Southern city.



Correct me if I%26#39;m wrong, but Memphis is now the corporate HQ of three Fortune 500 companies, with IP being a Fortune 100 company. The Metro Nashville area has two, Chattanooga one and the Tri Cities one.



That%26#39;s a lot of Memphis Elvis-loving execs.



I don%26#39;t feel unsafe in the city, maybe because I use common sense and don%26#39;t go into areas that are full of crime. When visitors come here I%26#39;m sure they head straight for Orange Mound just like visitors head straight to South Central LA. It%26#39;s called common sense.



I like Middle and East Tennessee. never had a problem with them. Just thought I should say something positive about Memphis so as not to scare off all the tourists who enjoy coming to our city to see sites such as Beale Street, which continues to be the most visited tourist destination in the state each year.




I would just like to say that I am a born and raised Memphian. I am very proud to be from Memphis despite whatever problems it may have. There is not city in the world that is free from crime or that doesn%26#39;t have it%26#39;s bad points. There are plenty of good things about Memphis in addition to Elvis Presley and Beale St. There are a lot of hard working wonderful people in Memphis and I don%26#39;t think that everyone or everything in Memphis should get a bad rap just because of a few bad experiences that can happen anywhere.




Hey! After reading these posts I had to sign up here so I could respond!



Anyone that says watching the %26#39;ducks%26#39; stroll around the Peabldy Lobby is fine for a 3 year old must be really jaded somewhere along the line. Everyone should see that once in their lives regardless of age.



I%26#39;ve been on Beale street several times. I%26#39;ve only ever had a great time. Never felt afraid. I was never pan handled. I was no doubt accidently places I shouldn%26#39;t have been too. I%26#39;ve had wonderful food, wonderful music, fun shopping.



I%26#39;ve lived in California from SF to LA. Visited and worked in NYC. Currently I%26#39;m in St. Louis. Memphis is %26#39;A%26#39; okay in my book and one of my favorite get-a-ways.



I like Nashville quite a lot too, but honestly I%26#39;ve had the better times in Memphis.



Nashville is a little pretentious for what it is, I%26#39;ve even heard people saying they live in the ';third/middle'; coast in Nashville.



It%26#39;s Nashville for crying out loud, not San Francisco.



If you love the Blues, try Memphis....or St. Louis!




I was back in Memphis for a few days....I was reading a BIG ariticle in the ';local rag'; called the Commercial Appeal...even the local paper slams the city of Memphis...lol.......the article was criticizing the stupid planning, or lack of it in a suburb called ';Cordova';....and the rather tacky parkway called Germantown Parkway....the local paper predicted that Cordova and the parkway woul become ';another Winchester Road'; ( a SE located located in Memphis, which got run down by urban creep, and god-awful planning).........Clearly the paper has a point...poor planning is not the sole domain of the City of Memphis, since most of the clusterfrig planning was authorized by the Shelby County Commission !.....funny stuff......



The planning...i.e. egress/ingress is BAD.......one store, Kmart is already closing and others are slated to follow...(although Kmart has its own problems, but this decision was exacerbated by this ';location';......



On the front page of this Sunday%26#39;s past paper, the paper highlighted the fact of breaking a record in ';murders';, and other crimes in Memphis too.....



At least the local paper is NOT blind to some REAL facts, even though some of the citizenry is...



DUMB stuff..



ENJOY!




By the way:





International Paper%26#39;s corporate headquaters is NOT Memphis, TN.......that%26#39;s patently wrong......it%26#39;s in the State of New York.





The center in Memphis is an operatonal center.....Believe me, the CEO and the COO/Pres, or the CFO do NOT reside and send their kids to school in Memphis, TN.

No comments:

Post a Comment