Sunday, April 4, 2010

Need recommendation

We are planning to visit Tennesse during Thanksgiving long weekend. We have decided to visit Chattanooga (Ruby falls etc) and Sweet water (the lost sea). We have dropped the idea of seeing smoky mountain (Glatinburg), as there won%26#39;t be leaves on the trees and it will look empty.



As we have never seen these places and we won%26#39;t make second trip, we want to know is it worth going ahead with this trip during this winter time. I checked in the websites that these attractions are open all year, someone plz confirm this also.



Thanks for your reply.



Need recommendation


Gatlinburg and Pigeon Forge will have tons of Christmas lights and Dollywood will be having their Christmas festival. I wouldn%26#39;t sell the Smokies short during the winter just because there are no leaves on the trees. Because of the reduced crowds and the clearer skies I almost prefer the Smokies in winter over summer. It%26#39;s a lot quieter and more peaceful.



All the attractions in Chattanooga are open year round so no problem there. Chattanooga will also be less crowded than GB and PF. The Enchanted Garden Lights at Rock City is really nice and I highly recommend it. I would also suggest you buy your tickets in advance on their web site to avoid standing in line to buy tickets. Ruby Falls is nothing compared to The Lost Sea so don%26#39;t go to the Lost Sea first. I assume since you have been looking on the web you are aware of the other offerings the Chattanooga are has so I won%26#39;t go into those. Guess I would always pick the Smokies over Chattanooga if I could only do one or the other.



Need recommendation


Rexx, What type of winter activities are you looking for exactly. I can help you come up with more and figure out if you would be missing alot for not going to the smokies.




Thanks for your replies. I am not really planning for any adventurous winter activities. I just want to spend my leave to enjoy nature’s beauty. The trip should be worthwhile that at end of day I feel happy that I had seen something wonderful and unique in nature.



About smoky mountain, I saw in the net that it will be decorated very nicely during Christmas. But I was under assumption that it may not be decorated now as we have one more month for Christmas. Please confirm.




Not sure about the decoration now.





BUT if nature is what you want I would only spend a day or two in Chattanooga and go to the Nature center, Rock city, etc.



I really would reconsider the Smoky mountain National Park! You can avoid gatlinburg and pigeon forge and stay there only, and visit the park for your nature. The trees may be bare but the park is always pretty. You may wanna stop in at sugerlands visitor center (as soon as you enter the park) and check about road closings and what not.





I love chattanooga and there are things here to do but if I had a choice and only a one time choice of where to see nature it would be in the national park itself!




Gatlinburg lights are on 11/2-2/28.




If you are only coming down for Thanksgiving weekend, I too would first pick staying in the Smokies. It%26#39;s the best place in the East TN area. Plenty of nature as well as accomodations, restaurants, etc. in Gatlinburg.





If you choose Chattanooga you can get multi attraction passes for the Lookout Mtn. attractions of Ruby Falls, Rock City,and the Incline. See Point Park while up there also. Next day go to the aquarium, IMAX, see the Chattanooga Choo Choo hotel, then have dinner on the Southern Belle Riverboat. That%26#39;s about two good days of activities. There%26#39;s plenty more to occupy your time without running yourself too ragged.





Personally, I wouldn%26#39;t take the time on a busy holiday weekend to drive another hour and a half to the Lost Sea.






I believe some Chattanooga attractions are not open on Christmas or Thanksgiving, but all the information should be on the websites.





The Lost Sea is a MUCH better experience than Ruby Falls. The actual cave of Ruby Falls was dug out with dynamite, and many of the formations have been ';repaired'; after vandalism. It is also way over-commercialized. The Lost Sea is great, although I%26#39;m not positive if it%26#39;s worth the drive. Don%26#39;t do both caves. The incline is cool, but expensive.



For a day on Lookout Mtn. I would recommend seeing Rock City (everyone says this is great), Point Park, and the Chattanooga Nature Center (on the base of Lookout Mtn).





Downtown, you must do the Aquarium, which went through a recent 30 million dollar salt-water expansion. There is also the Chattanooga Zoo, which is small, but very cheap, and has a good verity of animals (red pandas, cougar, jaguars, etc). We have also just been through a multi million dollar expansion of parks on the riverfront. Be sure to check them out.





BC




The last time is was dark and quiet on Lookout Mountain Ira Trivers was was an apprentice tailor. So go up the mountain. You won%26#39;t be disappointed. The view from Point Park of the bend in the river is spectacular.

No comments:

Post a Comment